Translate

Total Pageviews

Friday, October 5, 2012

New Celebrity in Kolhapur


Well it appears I have fallen behind in my blogging and the task at hand is more than a little daunting.  This and my overwhelming laziness at the moment, which I will attribute to being sick for the last few days, have kept me from attempting to recall the countless blog-worthy experiences of the last week and a half.  However, I fully realize that it must be done and that no better time will arise, so here I am. 

I left you anticipating my trip to Kolhapur to stay with my host uncle’s family for the beginning of the Ganpati festival.  I do not remember exactly where I picked up my belief that Kolhapur was in some way more rural than Pune, but this is utterly false.  It may have been the phrases “small town” and “mainly agricultural” that put this idea in my head, but in reality, Kolhapur is a city of over half a million with little more green space than Pune.  Regardless, I was lucky enough to get several hours of nature on the long drive.  When we finally arrived, it was good to see the familiar faces of my host grandparents welcoming me into my temporary home and asking how I had been. 

The Ganpati festival involves each family having their own shrine and praying at it several times each day.  This short ceremony involves a lot of chanting, clapping, and a spin.  Needless to say I could not follow the chanting (not in English) but I am an expert clapper/spinner so I rocked those parts as well as I could.  Each night, we traveled to another relative’s house to perform the ceremony. 

On the 20th, we took a short trip to a small village outside Kolhapur to visit more relatives.  The village was surrounded by sugar cane fields the way much of Southern Minnesota is covered in corn fields.  This realization made me feel a little more at home.  After breakfast, I was given a small tour of the average house in this village.  I was surprised when, after walking out the back door, I found myself face to face with a cow.  Everyone was anxious to take my picture with the cow and I got a chance to make up for missing one of my annual Minnesota State Fair rituals.

After seeing a few more houses and some small shops, I was led to a small procession of mini dhols parading around the town.  The next moment my forehead was covered with a yellow powder and the traditional vertical red line, a drum slung around my neck, and I was enthusiastically leading the procession through the streets with a huge smile on my face.  My excitement almost matched that of the townspeople taking pictures of me. 

After a few minutes of fun, I took off the drum and headed over to a place that was serving lunch for a bunch of men.  Somebody whipped up a turban and put it on my head and then I posed for about 100 pictures of everybody handing me a coconut.  Apparently this is a great sign of respect.  Plus, everyone loves getting their photo taken by or with the foreigner, regardless of whether or not they will ever actually see the picture.  Again I was given a small drum and asked to beat a simple rhythm to death for their entertainment.  Their enthusiasm made the event very fun, and I have been told they are putting my picture on the city posters for some large event.  I would be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy the attention.

The next day we headed home so I could participate in the Rotary program for the next several days with Pune’s exchange students and the additional four staying with us for a week.  Unfortunately, I arrived an hour too late to host one of the boys in my apartment, but it was really exciting to meet some other exchange students.  The newcomers were French and German with a boy and a girl belonging to both countries.  Upon my arrival, we were immediately herded onto a small bus and brought to the inaugural ceremony for the Pune Festival.  This festival coincides with the Ganpati celebrations, and shows off the variety of cultural activity in Pune.  We were all be-turbaned (by this I mean we wore turbans) and got special foreigner’s seating.  After several hours of waiting, the show finally began.  It consisted of several cultural dances dedicated to Ganesh followed by an obscenely long bit of speaking in Marathi recognizing a bunch of important people in attendance.  That part was boring. 

After it was over, we all went out for Chinese food and I ordered some familiar sweet and sour chicken.  This turned out to be more of a chicken and vegetable soup with a sweet-and-sour-sauce broth, but it was enjoyable nonetheless.  It was good to get to know the other exchange students a little better over dinner and we had some interesting conversation about which things India and Europe have in common versus Europe and the United States.   

Though I’m still a week and a half behind and have a ton left to say, I think I’ll cut it off here.  My apologies for putting this post off for so long.  Be assured, the next one will cover more of my adventures with all the exchange students and will come much quicker than this one.  Because there is no easy break in the stories of these two posts, I will leave you with a To Be Continued…soon, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment