Translate

Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Preparing for Ganpati

It has been a while since I last blogged because I have been waiting for the right mix of inspiration and motivation, but I've given up and am forcing myself to write something before I go to bed tonight.  Very little of interest has happened in the past week that would be of interest to readers back home as I continue to expand my geographical knowledge of Pune.  Most importantly I have a few updates about the near future and about upcoming trips.  

As I have already mentioned, the Ganpati festival is just around the corner and preparation has begun.  It is obvious that this celebration is a big deal, because every neighborhood currently has an enormous shrine under construction that looks like a big stage and will house the Ganesh idols for the 10 days of the festival.  Judging from the size of the shrines, these statues are enormous and I am in for a surprise.  I'll make sure to take plenty of pictures!

The festival starts on the 19th, and my family and I will be celebrating with my host uncle's family in Kolhapur which is about 60 miles south of here.  We leave the morning of the 19th and return the evening of the 21st.  I am really excited to see the celebration, meet new extended family, reconnect with my host grandparents again, and to get out of town for a few days.  Don't get me wrong, I love Pune, but I need to not be surrounded by three million other people every once in a while.  

I mentioned I am playing dhol in the festival and will also walk in the parade with the other exchange students, but I learned at the Rotary orientation (last night, when we have all been here a month) that several exchange students from a neighboring district will be there as well.  Because the festival is so big in Pune, these students are visiting my awesome town to take it all in and will be staying with our host families.  It has been confirmed that it is only the five of us in Pune this year, so I really look forward to meeting these other exchange students and having one stay with me for a few days.  Later in the year they will return the favor and we will stay with them for another Rotary event.  

Well, it's gotten pretty late and I have run out of things to say, but I will try to blog again soon.  I will cover my short trip to Kolhapur and the beginning of Ganpati, and hopefully I will have some good pictures to share as well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment