Translate

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Seconds, Not Firsts


It’s Independence Day in India, so remember to raise your Indian flags and wear orange, white, and green!  This morning I woke up at 6…and then again at 6:30 in order to watch a ceremony put on by some local elementary school kids.  The festivities included dancing, singing, and reciting India’s pledge of allegiance.  It was pretty fun to watch, but once it was done I came right back home and slept for another three hours.  Independence Day means no class, so I have been taking it easy all day.  Today was a day to relax and re-cooperate.  You know, trying to soak in every detail of a culture and make the most of every minute is exhausting!

Yesterday was my second day of school and was much less hectic.  I arrived at 11 (because it turns out school starts then, not at noon like we had previously thought) and began attending classes.  Mostly, they were pretty boring.  School here seems to be taught by the book–meaning the teacher reads a section from the textbook, reads the analysis questions, answers the questions, then looks up to see a few nodding heads before continuing.  It really does not seem like a very good teaching method but Symbiosis is apparently one of the best junior colleges (11th and 12th grades) in Pune and in all of Maharashtra.  I guess I will learn to accept it.

French, however, is much more interesting.  It is by far my favorite class because the teacher commands respect and the students are, for the most part, attentive.  It also happens to be the only class in which I have learned anything.  Ironically (and a little sadly), I have learned more French in these two days of class than Marathi or Hindi since I arrived.  I am hopeful that I continue to learn more French throughout my time here because the more languages you know, the better off you are.  Learning French will also be made easier by the fact that it is similar to Spanish, which I already speak.  You never know what you will learn during a year on exchange!

Tomorrow I will not be attending classes because my family is hosting some sort of religious gathering which they want me to see.  I am excited to see a new part of Indian culture and to be a part of whatever ceremony is going on tomorrow.

Other than that, life is becoming much more familiar here as I begin experiencing seconds along with firsts: I am used to the traffic and don’t feel the need to close my eyes whenever I ride a two wheeler, the food is still spicy, but I am managing fine, and now I’ve attended two days of school.  I have gotten through the ‘shock’ phase, and have moved on to the ‘acceptance’ phase, and this one is giving me a little trouble.  Acceptance entails realizing that I will be here for a year and that I have to put my life in Northfield on hold.  This is quite difficult for me because Northfield is my home and I love my life there.  Last year everything was going really well for me and I felt that I had everything figured out, and that is a tough feeling to let go.  I have traveled across the world, and willingly put myself in a new and vastly different culture, but it did not occur to me that I would have to let go of Northfield.  There is a fine line between missing home and missing out on exchange, and this is the line I have to define for myself.  It is a matter of knowing that I have a once in a lifetime opportunity to take advantage of, and reminding myself that I am not leaving my old life behind, I am merely putting it aside as I experience great new things here.  And with Skype, I can bring Northfield back with only the click of a button.  It is comforting to know that I do not have to leave home entirely.

Do not get me wrong, I am enjoying India.  There is so much to experience and understand that a year cannot possibly cover it!  Even as I begin to have as many seconds as firsts, my time here is still valuable.  I am determined to make the most of my exchange and experience as much of India as I can.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment