Translate

Total Pageviews

Friday, August 17, 2012

Looking Good at the Pooja

Last night was quite an event!  In my previous post, I had mentioned my host family's plans to host some sort of religious event.  I found out the importance (and length) of this event when I was told that it would keep me home from school.  As heartbroken as I was to hear this, I was truly excited to experience a piece of Indian culture and Hindu tradition.  The pooja, as it is called, is a very long and important ceremony.  It is hosted to recognize important occasions, and to offer praise to the gods.  My host family informed me that they always host a pooja during this Hindu month because it is an especially holy one.  The Hindu calendar is based on lunar phases and this month is important because it contains so many festivals.  I look forward to tomorrow and the end of this month because its holy status prevents my host family (and therefore me) from eating any non-veg.  I have never gone so long without meat in my life, and you never realize how much you love something until it is gone.  Though I had never seriously considered becoming a vegetarian, I now vehemently oppose the idea.  I am a carnivore, and perfectly content with this realization.  Since posting this a few minutes ago, my host dad brought home some chicken, which was delicious and probably the best thing ever.  Apparently the month ends now!

Apart from my dietary longings, this pooja was quite a large event.  It began in the late morning when several unfamiliar people came into my apartment and began decorating it with more flowers than I had ever seen outside of a garden.  It turns out they were creating a shrine, the main event of the pooja.  When they were done, they created this beautiful centerpiece for the celebration.  At its completion, my paternal host grandparents sat down in front of the shrine and there was a long (like almost 2 hours long) ceremony led by the two men who had done the decorations.  I was not in attendance for its entirety, but it consisted mostly of the two leaders chanting from memory at a ridiculous pace. If they didn't live here, I believe they could have very successful careers as auctioneers.  Toward the end, everyone in my family gathered and clapped along to bells and the chanting before placing a flower on top of the shrine and coloring our foreheads with red and black powders.  After this was done, I headed to my room for a little rest before the festivities began around 6.  I was brought to the street by my apartment and was surprised to see a crew of workers fixing our street with new rocks, tar, and a steam roller!  I learned that all this took place due to a call to the city from my host mother–apparently
  she has some pretty good connections!  In addition to this, all the parking area was covered in white and red cloth banners and chairs were placed everywhere.  This was a very big deal!

Several hours later, it was time to prepare and go downstairs to greet the guests.  I soon discovered that the purpose of hosting a pooja is that you invite many guests so they can pray at the decorated shrine you set up.  Once I understood this, everything made a lot more sense.  I put on my traditional Indian dress and put on my hosting smile before being bombarded by guests interested in meeting me and learning about my time here.  It was like having a second graduation party but exclusive to guests I did not know.  In a brief moment of peace, I struck a namaste pose for a picture much to the amusement of some onlooking guests.  I attempted to explain that it was for my friends and family back home, but they still thought I looked silly.  It was an eventful and overwhelming night, and by the end my cheeks hurt from smiling and I was exhausted.  I was in a strange position as quasi-host to an unfamiliar event to unfamiliar guests, but I enjoyed it.  I like hosting, even if I am pretty oblivious to what or whom it is I am hosting.

I want you all to know that however funny you think I look in this picture (or even in everyday clothing), I got a lot of compliments last night, and not just from relatives and older women who throw around the word 'handsome' as if it were compulsory*.  Several girls only a few years older than myself told me quite sincerely I was very good-looking in this shirt-dress combo.  The comments have not been exclusive to last night, either.  I was informed at school today by a few outgoing and chatty girls that when Colby, Axel, and I walk through the halls of Symbiosis we draw quite a lot of attention from the female population of 11th standard.  I was even told that I have a resemblance to Barbie's male companion, Ken.  Though it is not difficult to draw attention as one of three white boys in a class of girls three years younger than myself, I find it pretty funny.

*Fun fact, India doesn't use words like necessary, required, or needed.  Compulsory is the only option and it is used all the time in conversation and on all legal documents and registration.

As I continue to draw attention here, I want to give a shout out to all the Northfield outbounds.  Many of us have left already, but to those who are still preparing, get excited!  Your great adventures will start soon, and you'll update your blogs with all your own discoveries.  I can't wait to start reading about your years abroad!  As you get ready to leave keep a few things in mind:
1. Don't worry so much!  All the little details of packing will work out.
2. Don't pack your entire wardrobe.  You really don't need as many clothes as you think.  I have only worn maybe half of the clothes I packed
3. Enjoy your last days in Northfield!  Though you have a lot to think about, these are your last days in your hometown for a year so make the most of them!  Eat a Hogan Bros. sandwich for those of us who have left!
I know you will all have fantastic exchanges and I can't wait to read about them in your blogs and hear all the awesome stories when we all get back.  Best of luck to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment