Translate

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Mangoes: Nature's One True Perfection

Mango Stand
I do not mean to overstate it with the title, but mangoes are really great and it would be hard to exaggerate how much I love them.  We are in the heart of mango season and that is the only thing that could possibly manage to make up for the awful weather.  In fact, mangoes were undoubtedly a divine creation, sent to Earth for the express purpose of balancing out the unbearable heat of this season.  Mangoes can turn a bad day into an enjoyable one, and they are so easy to get.  This blog post is dedicated entirely to the wonder fruit that is keeping me going this summer.  Mango season began in mid-April and runs into the beginning of June.  Mango is India’s favorite flavor year-round, but during this magical period of time you can find fresh mangoes at every stand on every street.  Before I left the US I had tried mangoes a maximum of three times and none had gone so well.  India has turned me.  Now one of my favorite fruits I simply cannot get enough of the stuff in every form available.  Here is a variety of mediums drawing on the perfection of the mango:


Freshly cut mango: original fruit fresh from the mango farm
Aamras: mango pulp, plain, simple, and incredibly delicious

Mango juice: Nectar of Life
Mango mastani: combines two of the best ways to eat mango - milkshake and ice cream


It is my personal belief that mangoes account for some of the purest moments of joy I have felt on my exchange, and I am making it my goal to push the limits of mango consumption until the day I leave this country. 



No comments:

Post a Comment