Translate

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Head Bobble and Adjusting

My amazement has not worn off.  What a city and what a culture!  I should start by explaining my life here.  I live with my host family which consists of Jayant (father), Neeta (mother), Niraj (16 year old brother going to Rochester, MN for exchange), and Akash (12 year old brother).  Also living with us are my two grandparents.  We all live in an apartment in the middle of Pune.  The last two days have been hectic but fun as I try to learn how to fit in.  My host family is very accommodating and they are easing me into Indian food.  I have been told to drink only bottled mineral water for a week to allow my body to become accustomed to India and then I will be allowed to drink filtered water.  They have also bought bread and jam for me to eat at breakfast so I will feel more at home and have made sure I have not come into contact with nuts.  I am so appreciative of their protection and care, because I would be so lost without them. 

Because Niraj leaves so soon, much of his (our) extended family has come to visit to say goodbye, giving me a chance to meet all of them.  I also need to talk about family, but that will have its own blog post as well because there is so much to say.  I have no idea what they talk about because it is in Marathi, but I occasionally catch ‘Erik’, ‘Northfield’, and ‘exchange student’ in conversation.  It is also a running joke that the only Marathi I know is “Namaste”, which everyone finds hilarious. 

Sunday after sleeping in, Niraj took me out on his “two wheeler” (this is what they call all scooters or motorcycles) on an errand.  The idea scared me a lot after what I had seen of Indian traffic but it was amazing and I felt so free!  I live only about 20 feet from a busy road so it’s only a second or two before you are surrounded by people.  After this I met two of my “brothers” (they also call cousins brothers and sisters) and all my brothers and I played cricket in the alley.  I had no idea what was going on and often dropped the bat like in baseball, much to the amusement of Akash.  Though I believe I lost, it was very fun to join in an Indian activity.  I know the big question you are all asking is “Do they really do that head bobble?”  Yes, they do.  I was so excited the first time I saw it, and it turns out it’s not just every once in a while, they do it all the time.  For those of you who don't know, the head bobble is really hard to read.  It can mean yes, no, maybe, or can just take the place of an actual response.  I felt like a true Indian yesterday when I found myself naturally doing it in conversation with my father (thanks for all the practice Kiana!).  It is amazing how quickly you can adapt to small things like that.  

Yesterday I twice participated in a festival called Raksha Bandhan in which a sister (female cousin or actual sister) ties a rakhi (sacred thread) around the brother’s wrist symbolizing her love and prayers for his well-being in return for his promise to protect her.  I felt so special to be included in this ceremony after being here only a day and a half.  The festival is actually on August 2nd this year, but Niraj leaves tomorrow, so he will miss it.  This means I will go through the ritual several more times, which is fine by me. 

I am still working to settle in, including filling out paperwork and registering for school among other things.  I intend to visit Aishwarya and her family soon (some of you know her as Aish), and it will be very fun to see her in her own country while I am the exchange student.  It will be a strange reversal of roles.  The rest of the eight exchange students in Pune this year will be arriving soon and I will meet them the second week of August, which is very exciting and will truly kick off my exchange here.  Expect another update soon.  Namaste!

1 comment:

  1. ERIK! WE WERE SOOOOOO SKILLED! TOTALLY PREPARED YOU! :D *insert head bobble here!* I'm glad your family is being so protective and am so jealous of your many experiences already. You are going to have a great year.

    ReplyDelete